Monday, January 11, 2016

David Bowie- Everything In Excess





Me: David, I just wanted you to know, that my youth would not have been the same without you.
David Bowie: Oh, well I am sorry about that Jack.



I had the pleasure of spending a day with David Bowie. It was for the filming of his cameo in Zoolander. I was hired as an extra. My friend called and said they wanted some rock n roll/fashion looking types for a catwalk scene.  I always loathed extra work and there was no talk of David Bowie being there. But, I needed the money to finish an album.

     I got there and Ben Stiller was giving all of us some completely insincere speech thanking all of us for being there and how he couldn't make this movie without us. It was immediately condescending and I damned myself for letting myself be talked into doing this bullshit.  They sent us back to the holding area and it was announced that David Bowie was going to be in the next shot.
     Everyone got all excited in that hoo ha thespian way. I had been a theater major and was reminded why I went into music at this moment. They called us in and began putting everyone around the catwalk, all of the "actors" were fighting to get up front for the chance to get their close up; hey, this could be their chance to be the next Ernest Borgnine.  I thought, "to hell with this, where is Bowie standing between takes?".  I saw him standing stage right in the way back. I made my way and stood right next to him. He nodded and looked down.  Someone announced, "Ok folks, please remember where you are standing, this is where you will be for most of the day".
      David lights up a Marlboro red. I thought, "OK, don't start talking about your favorite albums, just hang out with the man."
Me: You still smoke?
David: Oh yeah.
Me: I'm curious, how much do you smoke a day?
David: (laughs) Oh, I do everything in excess. Hi, I'm David.
Me: Nice to meet you, I'm Jack.
 Just then a cute female PA walks up and offers David a plate of chocolate chip cookies.
He puts out the cigarette with his shoe and eats a cookie. He then grabs two more cookies and literally stuffs his face.
David: Oh my, I realize I didn't eat anything today (he says through a mouthful of cookies.)
The PA giggles nervously, she clearly did not expect this gluttonous display. But he was not showing off. He just immediately wanted 3 cookies in his gulliver...
He turns to me with a smile and one eyebrow raised, "Everything in excess, Jack!"

      The rest of the day we made jokes about what was right in front of us, the set, announcements made etc. There were no huge moments, we were just enjoying passing the time. It can get quite tedious on a film shoot.

When David's part was completed, someone announced, "Ladies and gentlemen, it is a wrap with David Bowie!" Everyone applauded and he walked down a corridor with a manager type. I decided to go and say goodbye. They were in a heavy discussion so I followed for a bit. We came outside to a beautiful sunset splashing against the Hudson River (a studio up in Yonkers). David turns and waves his arms to acknowledge the glow and colors in the sky, and notices I am behind him.
David: Oh, hi Jack!
Me: David, I just want to say... my youth would not have been the same without you.
David: Oh, well I am sorry about that Jack.
Me: It was a good way to pass the time today.
David: Oh yes, it was you Jack. Thanks Jack!

I was too busy trying to exit gracefully to realize immediately that he was being his witty self.

We parted ways in the most surreal orange blinding glow, the sun was swallowing us up in it's majesty. I was willing and ready.

I am floored to hear of the passing of David Bowie. It never dawned on me that he would die. His presence has been more like a moon or a star. He was just there, making art,  never preaching, just leading by example. Time to play Hunky Dory...loud.  




2 comments:

  1. Wow, how about that? I had been listening to Hunky Dory as I read this. The genius of rock has left us a great legacy. Good story!

    ReplyDelete